Mom was right: If you don’t have anything good to say, don’t say anything at all. However, we remain bewildered by what we find when we search for information about our hometown on the web. I just Googled “casual Waikiki dining,” for example, and here’s what I was fed at Yelp:
• The first two restaurants aren’t in Waikiki.
• No. 3 is Duke’s — hooray for Yelp!
• I’ve never heard of No. 4.
• No. 5 is a fancy place.
• No. 6 is an ultra-fancy place that’ll cost you a couple hundred bucks. It’s not in Waikiki.
• No. 7 and No. 8 are not in Waikiki.
• No. 9 is Hula Grill, where you go when you can’t get into Duke’s.
• No 10 is a Japanese cafeteria.
This is not as egregious as being told to go to the Don Ho show after he died, so maybe things are improving. However, for a taste of what’s both real and real good, head to the dining section right here. Mom would have approved.